The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry Review




The Essex Serpent has been out quite a while now, and has received a lot of buzz since publication. It has been listed for, and won, several prizes and was Waterstones Book of the Year 2016. It was also very hyped on booktube, so I was at first not very interested in picking it up, as too much hype makes for very high expectations that are often disappointed. But when I heard, after the hype had died down a little, that this book was about confronting new ideas and discoveries and how to cope with fast changing times, my interest was peaked after all. I love books that not only offer an interesting plot, but also deal with specific topics and attempt to send a message and make the reader think.





And this book definitely had me thinking a lot. I am genuinely sad that I didn't pick it up sooner, because it was simply fantastic. So far, I might even say that it is my favourite book of the year (excluding certain re-reads 😁).

Well, let's begin at the beginning and tell you quickly what this brilliant piece of literature is about.
Our protagonist is Cora Seaborne, who, after the not so unfortunate death of her abusive husband, moves to a quiet village on the coast of Essex, accompanied by her son Francis and her good friend and companion Martha. The plot is set in Victorian England, according to Google it takes place around 1890, but there is no set date mentioned in the book. Cora is far from your typical Victorian lady, however. She has a very keen interest in science, especially natural history, and loves to take long walks and explore even the dirtiest spots in nature, always hoping to make an important discovery in the form of a fossil. Her friends are all rather surprised when she removes herself to Aldwinter and befriends the local vicar and his family, as she has never shown much patience for religion.
On top of that, rumors of a mythical creature, the legendary Essex Serpent haunting the waters around Aldwinter creates great fear and superstition amongst the locals. The plot follows Cora and her friends during the time of these rumors, how they all confront them and what they make of them.

So much for the plot. I apologize for this rather lengthy summary, but for a 400-page novel, this book has a lot to offer and I want to do it justice. Now on to why I loved this book so very much!

Firstly, I was immediately drawn into the story by its fascinating characters. We follow a very special cast of characters, one could even call them a bit of a bunch of oddballs (in an endearing manner). There is Luke the surgeon, who mostly lives for his profession and appears, at first, as rather cold. Then there is Martha, who dedicates herself to social work and wants to improve the world. Cora I already mentioned, with her love for fossils and science, her thirst for knowledge. And Will of course, the vicar who can't help but follow Cora's studies. Each of them is not only very interesting to read about, but also inspiring and endearing. Inspiring, because they go out and act in order to achieve their goals and don't shy away from working for them. And endearing because the beautiful writing and their interactions make them very human and relatable; None of them are perfect, but they admit their imperfections and their inability to remedy them.

The pacing is also simply perfect. The narrative spans more than a year, if I'm not mistaken. Perry's pacing is so on point, however, that it creates suspense without rushing, and at the same time takes time for important moments without dragging. Some months are summarized beautifully and still relate everything that is necessary. She also includes letters the characters write to each other, which feel like a window taking the reader further into the story. Thus, the writing completely drew me into the story, I felt like I really knew the characters and Aldwinter, so that I was very sorry when the book was over. Everything is relayed in such a beautiful and engrossing manner, and still the novel doesn't lack humour. It is often interspersed with irony or comic elements, so it creates a very nice mood. It seems to serve a picture of life in general as a mixture of tragedy and comedy.

I can't say that I loved this next point most, as I truly loved everything about this novel equally. But the way every sentence seemed to have meaning, and how the novel broached so many different topics without taking away from the engrossing plot, was another point I enjoyed very much.
Science, religion, progress, gender roles, social issues and society in general are being indirectly discussed, through the opinions and actions of the characters. I reminded very much of Henry James, who also conveys many themes in his writings and really makes one think about these, beyond the limits of the novel.
All the while, the novel didn't feel like a moral lecture at all, as every character dealt differently with their struggles and issues, and none of these ways where fully condemned, nor celebrated.

Underlaying the whole story, however, are the themes of human relations, especially love in its various different appearances, and the thirst for knowledge. Will's daughter Jo and Cora were incredibly inspiring in their dedicated studying, and their scientific ambitions. Every time they mentioned a writer, a book or a theory, I felt the urge to go out and read it. Needless to say, this book as put at least twenty new ones on my wish list 😅

I could go on and on in praising this book, but I think I have made my point. One last thing, that should convince you of giving this book a try: the way Perry wrote her characters reminded me sometimes of J.K. Rowling. They both have this knack of writing perfectly realistic, human and relatable characters that feel more like friends than like people on a page. The humour in The Essex Serpent also reminded me a wee bit of Harry Potter. So please, if you are a fan of any kind of literature at all, please have a look at this book. It is so engrossing, so lovely and so thought provoking, it is highly unlikely you will regret giving it a chance!
Do I have to mention that I gave this five stars? I hope not 😊

Have you read The Essex Serpent? What are your thoughts on it? What was your favourite book this year so far?
Thank you so much for reading! 😊💖



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nineveh and Babylon by A.H. Layard Review

The Golden Bowl by Henry James Review